CSV File Formatting
Unfortunately, Excel makes it quite challenging to deal with UPC codes. It will automatically try to truncate the UPC code into scientific notation (something that looks like
8.0483E+11 instead of
This truncation can cause irreversible data loss when converting to a CSV file.
Thankfully, preventing this is a painless process!
- Open the XLSX file in Microsoft Excel.
- Right-click on the column that contains the UPC codes.
- From the menu, select 'Format Cells'.
- In the Format Cells dialog box, go to the 'Category' section.
- Choose 'Custom'.
- In the 'Type' field, enter '000000000000' (12 zeros).
- Click the 'OK' button.
- Go to File > Save As.
- In the Save As dialog box, select 'CSV (Comma delimited)' from the dropdown list of file formats.
- Give the file a name and choose a location to save it.
- Click the 'Save' button.